Thursday, April 3, 2008

On Demand Writing - SAT Style Prompt

Confucius said, "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail." I completely agree with this quote. There have been many times in my life that have illustrated the importance of recovering and trying again, when trying to master something. I had a color guard instructor once who said, "It's all about recovery." If you dropped your flag or messed up on part of the dancing, find a quick way to recover, and recover well, and you were golden. No one is ever perfect at anything they do, they may have some natural born talent in some areas, but you still need to hone and master that talent. When I was younger I knew right away that I had a sort of flare for acting and dramatics, just ask my family. But when I first joined Play Production here at Malden High, last year I saw that I had much more to learn than I thought; posture, presence, blocking, moving from you center, movement in general, diction with the lines, volume control, and much more. The same goes for singing. I knew from a very young age that I loved to sing, but when I joined Chorus my Freshman year I was very pleasantly surprised to see how much work goes into singing and training your voice. You have to know the proper posture, breathing techniques, vowel placement, how to use certain parts of you body, and a million other things. But like I said before, no one is perfect when they first start learning things. You have to practice, and with practice comes mistakes, but you learn from those mistakes and just get that much better.
When looking back on book I have read in past years, trying to think of one that best examplifies this concept, one came to mind My Story, the autobiography of Marilyn Monroe. A great deal of this book talks about her success, but more talked about, and important, her lack of successes. She got rejected from studios, fired from studios, had people saying and thinking horrible things about her, got scammed left and right. But she was determined, she came back hit after hit. Marilyn took what people thought and said and grew from it, but never changed who she was, and became a great success, idol, star, icon. Sher is the perfect example of this principle; looked up to, relatable, and someone who actually went through a lot but persisted and got where they wanted to be.

No comments: