Thursday, April 3, 2008

Notebook Entry - Sharon Osbournes Journals, Passage 1

Passage #1: P. 1-2 Paragraphs 1-2
“I am at home, standing by the gate. Kelly is running across the courtyard, blond hair bouncing around her little cherub face. She’s like the golden angel on the Mormon Temple on Santa Monica Boulevard, and she’s holding Jackie Boy by the hand, and I want to call to them, and tell her to mind the fountain, that it’s deeper than it looks, and that they shouldn’t go sitting on the edge. And then Aimee is smiling up at me, pulling at my sleeve, wanting me to go with her, to show me something. And I feel so happy and safe and calm. To know that the home is mine again; the same tall, tall palm trees, their trunks the color of charcoal, and the creeper hung with the purple flowers, and everything is like it used to be. I want to tell Dadda, but I don’t know where he is. So I watch my babies kneeling over the fountain, one at each corner of the cloverleaf, peering over the edge and listening to the water tumbling from one shell down to the next, and then the next…but where is Dadda? He won’t believe it when I tell him. I try calling out his name, but the tinkling of the fountain gets louder and louder, drowning everything else out…
… and then, like a cold liquid, like that cocktail of chemo trickling my veins, I realize it’s not the fountain I can hear, it’s the fucking telephone. And I’m not even in California, but in Buckingham in the kitchen at Welders, sharing the sofa with Minnie in front of a cold fireplace.”

Response #1:
I think it was a very important choice that Sharon made in this being the beginning of her autobiography. Her kids are obviously the most important thing to her, something that is very evident especially in the beginning of the book. The book goes to talk about all of Sharon’s past and her present, but through the entire book you really see that family is the most important thing in her life. This beginning says a lot about her, she is a mother and a wife and she loves it, she loves them. Sharon went through a lot in her life time; both in the past and present time when she was writing her book, but her kids and her husband are what make it worth it to her.
In present time when Sharon was writing her book, she had been fighting, or just ending the fight with colon cancer, and you can definitely see that her family is her main support system and reason for fighting. I know from being around many others, and the fact that I do have somewhat of a maternal personality, that her kids are number one to her, and they have to be. She loves her family more than anything, and I think that before you can read any part of this book, you have to understand that, which is why I love that she made this the opening of her book.

No comments: